Saturday, February 27, 2010

Question of the week

Question:
The disc of photos you gave me does not work on the machines at Wal-Mart...help!?


Answer:
YOU ARE PRINTING AT WAL-MART? BACK AWAY FROM THAT PHOTO LAB VERY SLOWLY. Go home and never return.

Just kidding
Truthfully, unlike a ton of photographers in denial I am well aware that many clients use their discs at commercial labs and I have resolved to be okay with that. I know that although I get a sense of satisfaction from a photo paper with just an extra touch of luster and a bang on emulsion that makes whites the whitest and blacks and blackest....MOST REGULAR PEOPLE DON'T EVEN SEE THE DIFFERENCE. It's the same reason that a photographer with a price of a couple hundred dollars less will book a wedding that we both had a consultation for (and vice versa of course)....because unless it's your job and there is a checklist of what a photo should provide, I have realized that when most people look at a print or a portfolio, they aren't looking for the same things that I do- AND I DON'T EXPECT THEM TO.

So back to Wal-Mart....it's not high on my list of "good places to print photos", but if you find it convenient and can't take the extra trip to Don's photo then why not upload from the convenience of your own computer via the web to ALMOST ANY photo lab and then pick up your photos in the hour or so that they are ready. I have tested all of the files on discs that I give out to work on your home pc and don't re-issue discs that don't work on certain picture makers around the city, so if the Wal-Mart machines aren't reading DVD format, then save them into your "my pictures" section of your computer and sign up online for your favorite photo lab. It really does beat standing at the photo kiosk while your kids cry and you are forced to touch those germy fingerprinted monitors.

Prob-lemo solved :)

0 comments:

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP